4.01.2012

All Things Noah




Back before little Mr. Gabriel arrived on the scene I started a series of posts about each of the children. I published posts about:




And I started posts about Noah and Elisabeth...but then Gabriel arrived. And those posts stopped, and made way for posts about Gabriel's cute face, and his cute smile, and our indispensable Moby Wrap, and adoptive breastfeeding, etc., etc.....

But I've just got so many things floating in my head about my precious Noah, and I wanted to record them, because my mommy-brain and memory are getting worse all the time...




Noah...
I often refer to him as my little boy/man. He is 8 now...going on 38. He is so smart and so logical, and has such a good memory. And he is so out-of-his-way-sweet...when he is not busy being maddeningly stubborn.

Noah is extremely organized and he likes things clean and neat and orderly. Daniel on the other hand...well, not so much. This makes for interesting times since the boys share a room. The boys declutter on a regular basis, at Noah's prompting - Noah helping Daniel sort and organize his stuff. Noah has stated that he would like his own room because "Daniel is messy!" (Daniel really is not that bad (compared to my girls, that is) he just seems like it compared to Noah.) And Noah really doesn't want a room to himself; he gets "lonely" when he has rest time in his room by himself! (I remind him of this when he says he wants his own room, and - come to think of it - he hasn't mentioned that recently!)

Noah really loves to read. He tends more to non-fiction books than to fiction books or chapter books (although he gets to read plenty of those also, as I assign them to him for school). After reading about Scotland recently, he told me: "I want to be Scottish when I grow up." When I asked him why, he said "I love Scotland, and I think kilts and bagpipes are cool!"

With the facts he picks up from his reading, he is a veritable fount of knowledge. I did not used to know that an ostrich's eyeball is bigger than it's brain. Or that women have more taste buds than men. But now I do...

Medically speaking, Noah is doing very well. The episodes of elevated heart rates that he was experiencing several months ago did indeed cease after the Electrophysiologist made the changes to Noah's pacemaker settings. Praise the Lord for that!

Noah's latest interest (read: obsession) is the states. As in: these United States of America. (as demonstrated here with his birthday cake several weeks ago)

He makes up jokes about the states:

"What is the cleanest state?" WASHington

"Which state do mice live in?" MICEachusetts

"Which state is an unmarried woman?" MISSissippi



He does puzzles with the states:


And sometimes...he does them backwards:

He checks out and reads books about the states. Which explains how he knows random things like the fact that there is a ranch in Texas that is larger than the entire state of Rhode Island.

He recently told me he wanted a bulletin board. I picked up one for him at the store, and daddy hung it up for him.

I was hoping he would want it hung up, say, behind his door...but no, he wanted it front-and-center, right up on the wall next to his top bunk.

This is what he wanted the bulletin board for:

He cut out and colored some of the states that have his Most Favored status. And the little, bitty pictures in between states are Lego Minifigures (because we are a Lego-loving family).


He also asked me to print him out the Greek alphabet, which he is currently working on memorizing. (That is totally unprompted by me, btw - I sometimes just shake my head at this little guy...)



Noah has for some time claimed that Florida is his favorite state. And he is fascinated with the Keys, especially the fact that you could be right in between the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic ocean. He loves for me to tell (and retell) him stories about my family visiting down there when I was growing up (we lived in South Florida for six years while I was growing up). He then took it upon himself to designate a jar for us to start saving money for a Keys family vacation:

He used white-out to cover up the words on the lid...and made it very clear what HE wanted this jar to be for now:




As much as Noah is loving states recently...he hasn't left his first love: Chippyye

I found this picture on my camera, where Noah had apparently had Chippyye pay Gabriel a visit in his bassinet...and he wanted to memorialize that visit:



Noah recently purchased himself an Ipod Touch. (He wanted to buy it "refurbished...like Mama's Ipod Touch.") This is new territory for us, because our children have never owned any electronic gadgets - no leap pads, or DSs, or Wii...nothing...

But Noah is doing good with regulating his usage. When he asks to play and I say "yes", he sets the timer on the Ipod for 15 minutes and when it goes off he stops.


And he is very sweet about sharing with his siblings.

The only games ("apps") he has on there right now: "Stack the States" and "Stack the Countries" (LOVE both of these!)


Noah's favorite look:
Shorts.

With boots.


All too soon (months? year or two?), he will no longer think it is cool to wear his precious boots with his shorts...


...and that will be a sad, sad day for this mama.



From the day Noah snuck up on us, the Lord has used this precious boy to teach and mold Jas and I...and we are better people for knowing and loving him. We are so very blessed to be his parents.


Ni Hao Yall

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...