3.19.2014

Mayo that Makes Me Laugh

One of the simpler - but huge - changes we've made in the past couple years has been with our mayo.  I now make it myself.


Which makes me want to laugh. out. loud.

Back about 12 or 13 years ago - when Jas and I still lived in Colorado - we went to church with a neat couple.  He worked at Compassion and she worked at Focus on the Family, but they had previously been missionaries in a remote location.  When Kathy told me one day that she had made her own mayo when they were on the mission field, I about had a coronary right there in the sanctuary.  "You MADE your OWN mayo?!?"  This confirmed for me the utter hopelessness and dire straits they'd been in out on their mission.  As much as Kathy assured me it wasn't hard to make mayo...I was not at all convinced, and henceforth saw them in a new holy light of the tremendous sacrifices they'd made for Christ during their time as missionaries.

Yes, I truly felt that making your own mayo was that strange...and that hard.


Fast-forward 10+ years, and five children later...as we're striving to eat and live healthier...


Kathy was right.  It is not hard.  Hallelujah!

And this is a good thing, because as I learned over the past few years how bad industrial vegetable oils and soybean oils are for us....I wanted to stay as far away from store-bought mayo as possible.

Even the store-bought mayo that says "...with Olive Oil"?  Yep - look at the ingredients - it has other yuck oils in there too.

And making it myself is so easy, and quick.  And now I know exactly what is going in there...hence I know how nourishing our mayo now is for us!

We mix this in when we make our chicken salad and tuna salad.  When combined with sour cream, you could also use it to make your own Ranch dressing!



There are a ton of recipes out there.  If you don't like your first try at making your own mayo, try, try again, until you find a combo you do like.


Here is the recipe I've settled on:


Healthy, Homemade Mayo

1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
a few shakes of sea salt
a few grinds of pepper
a good squeeze of lemon juice (1 tbsp?)

1/2 c. melted coconut oil (we use this kind)
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil


Drop the first five ingredients (through lemon juice) in your blender. (Could also use a food processor, or an immersion blender.)  Combine the two oils in a measuring cup.  Turn the blender on med low and slowly, s - l - o - w - l - y   pour in the oils as the blender runs.  Pour the oils as slowly as you can, so that the mayo can properly emulsify. If you don't do this - or if you accidentally just throw ALL the ingredients in the blender together - you will end up with a yucky-looking mess that won't ever combine properly.  (Ask me how I know)


Debbie left a comment down below - that definitely needs inserting right here - because she has a great method:

I used to make mine in a blender but then I came upon a much easier way! You need a wide mouthed jar. Put one egg in the bottom of the jar, cold is fine. Add some lemon juice and salt to your taste. Add one cup of any oil or combo. Let it sit one minute. Take an immersion blender and hold it on the bottom of the jar. Turn it on and hold on the bottom for 20 seconds. Then slowly lift it up until everything is emulsified, about 5-10 seconds later. No clean up except for the blender piece!

I am totally trying this next time!  Thanks for the tip, Debbie!


A search for "Homemade Mayo" yields 19 million results (no joke)...so there are just a few versions of mayo out there.  I don't care for the taste when I only use olive oil, so I like the combo of olive oil and coconut oil.  I am always on a quest for a recipe that has the fewest (meaning:  cheapest) ingredients.  Other mayo recipes call for some spices (including mustard powder) that we just haven't found necessary.  But your tastes may be different.  Here are some other good mayo recipes, from some whole-foods bloggers:










This post is linked up to Fat Tuesday at Real Food Forager.



5 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention the "olive oil" kind. That's what I've bought the last couple times until I could get the nerve to make homemade. This gives me courage!
    Now, you need to elaborate on Ranch dressing!
    LY,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make my in a blender but then I came upon a much easier way! You need a wide mouthed jar. Put one egg in the bottom of the jar, cold is fine. Add some lemon juice and salt to your taste. Add one cup of any oil or combo. Let it sit one minute. Take an immersion blender and hold it on the bottom of the jar. Turn it on and hold on the bottom for 20 seconds. Then slowly lift it up until everything is emulsified, about 5-10 seconds later. No clean up except for the blender piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally trying this next time I make mayo...I am all for easier clean up! You really only use one egg? I am also all for using less ingredients = cheaper! Thank you, Debbie!

      Delete
    2. It works every time. I found it on some obscure website a couple of months ago.

      Delete
  3. A Best Hand Blender, also known as an immersion blender, is an essential kitchen gadget that empowers a user with multitasking (from blending to grinding to cutting). A lot of recipes require the use of hand blender such as; soups, cooked beans or peas, whisk eggs, smooth sauces, cut fruits etc.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...