4.17.2011

Crossroads

We have a big, huge, MONUMENTAL crossroads going on in our family right now.

See, our new van (our beloved Silver Bullet) is great...and we love it.


But it doesn't have a DVD player.

*GASP*

Until our last van, I hadn't realized what a wonderful, beautiful thing it was to have a DVD player in your vehicle.

Of course, before our last van, we didn't have four children. (We only had two little 2-year olds when we purchased that van.)

So.....

To buy a DVD player????

Or not???

This is the big question that is keeping us up at night right now. (Totally kidding, nothing could keep Jas up...which I'm thinking doesn't bode well for me when Lil Man comes home!)

Before we bought the Silver Bullet, I just totally assumed it was a given that we would get a DVD player installed. What family could live without a DVD player in their vehicle?!?!?

But we've had it for over 3 weeks now, and I've realized....we can.

We're that family that can live without a DVD player.

I like it, actually.

We talk, we sing, Noah watches cars and license plates out the window, the kids color, we listen to books on tape (well, books-on-CD, but you know what I mean), Noah and Elisabeth read, Daniel and LK look through books, etc...

I'm really digging not having a DVD player in the van!

And on one hand I shudder to think about all the conversations we'll miss out on if we get a DVD player (and the kids are zoned out on it).

BUT, on the other hand, we have The Road Trip of 2011 coming up soon. And driving 3,200 miles without some DVDs to help break that up...well, I shudder to think about that....


So, we have a Decision of Epic Proportions here.

We'd appreciate your prayers.


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

(Who says that Elisabeth has a monopoly on the Drama Queen crown around here? I'm strutting my stuff here in this post!)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I totally get you!! We have a rule that we don't turn on the tv unless it's a trip that you can complete a whole movie (i.e. trip to grandma's) Otherwise it's not on so we don't miss out on the conversations. I will be praying for you guys, because I do understand.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey we have two portable DVD players you can borrow. We would just have to connect before your trip.

    Two sets of ear phones can go in each one.

    Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking as the one who keeps our favorite Christian DVD's in the slot so that when our favorite Christain radio station fades out, we can switch back to the DVD. I think God would approve! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...