8.03.2010

Recipe: Pizza Soup

I just love it when I do something intelligent!

And this was intelligent:




This is Pizza Soup...it is yummy...and it was ready and waiting for us in my slow-cooker when LK and I arrived back home after her Examination under Sedation on Wednesday. Score one for mama!

I make a menu out every week before I go the grocery store and I look at our calendar at the same time...noting which days I will have more time (to roast a chicken, for example)...and which days we'll be gone most of the day for doctor appointments, in which case we'll need something I previously froze, or a slow cooker meal. It would be too easy to default to fast food if I didn't think ahead like this. And this is not rocket science, so why haven't I always planned ahead like this? I don't know...but it sure does make life easier (and healthier...and cheaper) now!

Jas and I have loved this recipe since b.c. (before children)...and now they are digging it too:

Pizza Soup (from Crockery Favorites by Mable Hoffman)

2 (14-oz.) cans Italian style sliced tomatoes (I used the tomatoes I put up instead, and just added some Italian Seasoning)

2 cups beef broth or bouillon

1 onion, sliced

1 small red or green pepper, seeded, sliced

1 cup sliced mushrooms (we always use fresh, I don't know how canned would do here)

1/2 lb. smoked sausage, thinly sliced

1 tsp chopped fresh oregano (I always used dried instead)

1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella or Cheddar cheese

In slow-cooker, combine tomatoes, broth or bouillon, onion, pepper, mushrooms, sausage and oregano. Cover and cook on LOW 7-8 hours. Spoon into individual bowls. Top with cheese. Makes 6-7 servings.

(The sausage that I bought (on sale!) came in a 1 lb. package, so we just sliced it all up and increased the tomatoes by about 50% also. It's kind of hard to mess up soup like that...and I love having leftovers, or Planned-overs!)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...