7.05.2010

Our Tomato "Frolic"

This past week when we were not busy with appointments for Lily Kay and Noah...we were busy with these:



That is actually the end product there.

They started out looking like this:


Well, no...let me back up a little more.

We actually first saw them here:

And, no, this is not our garden...unfortunately!

On Wednesday we went to a U-pick farm with my friend Kris, her 3 boys, and our friend, Kitty.

And then on Friday, we reconvened in Kris' kitchen for a good ol' fashioned "Frolic"!

Kitty introduced us to the term "Frolic". The Amish use it to describe a gathering of volunteers that meet to complete a task, like a barn-raising...but in this case, putting up tomatoes!



It certainly was a lot of work.

But "many hands make light work" and...wow, did we have fun talking and laughing while we worked with these tomatoes!


It took us 7 hours (including our lunch break) to go from six 5-gallon buckets of tomatoes to this...


64 1/2 quarts of beautiful tomatoes!


AND, the adult girlies and kids had fun while we were working.


The kiddos posed for this cute picture.

I also have pictures of Kris and Kitty and I - working on Friday, and then proudly posing by our 64.5 quarts - but decided that it was in everyone's best interest if I didn't post those!

3 comments:

  1. You mean, you looked like you had been working on messy, messy tomatoes for 7 hours??? :) It's a messy job, but it is so worth it! I do not hand cut my tomatoes...I put those suckers in the blender and press the nifty little button--no chunks. The kids like it better when they do not know that they are eating tomatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I actually cannot even blame it on the tomatoes. To be completely honest, I looked a mess from the minute I showed up at Kris' house at 8:30 a.m. (30 minutes late, btw!). Even though I'd been up since 5:30, I ran out of time getting stuff done, didn't even have time for a shower - wore a hat - NOT going to post that on our blog! You owe me a big thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can't wait until tomatoes get going around here!!! We're in the middle of pickling right now..thankfully, that's not quite as messy as tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...