11.25.2013

Woohoo...Cookies For Breakfast! And What Else We're Eating This Week.

Woohoo...cookies for breakfast!  How fun is that?  I think it is cool and my kiddos think **I** am super cool!



Daniel and I made these cookies once before, a couple months ago.  Chewy dried fruit and crispy nuts....there are few things in this world I like better than that combo.  So as soon as I spotted the recipe I knew I needed to try it out.

There are so many great substitutions and exchanges listed in the comments at the end of that recipe, that you could make these cookies a thousand different ways.  Hence, my problem this morning: I knew I had changed the recipe last time...but I couldn't remember exactly what D and I had done!  But I wrote down exactly what I did this morning...so that I won't have that problem again.  And I do plan to make them again because 3 out of 4 kids loved them, and Jas said they tasted like "super yummy banana bread"!  

Fruit and Nut Breakfast Cookies

1 cup almonds (soaked overnight and blanched)
8 dates (Medjool, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes)
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
4 eggs

1/2 c. coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c. chopped walnuts (previously soaked)
1/2 c. dried cranberries (could be raisins, etc.)
1/2 c. chopped dried apricots (could be dried cherries, blueberries, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine almonds and dates together in a blender or food processor. (My vitamix is a workhorse, but it still got overheated and shut it self off (its defense mechanism) doing this, so the almonds didn't end up teeny, tiny and that is totally o.k.)  In a large bowl mix together the mashed bananas and the eggs.  Dump the remaining dry ingredients (thru salt) on top of the banana/egg mixture and stir to combine, mashing any clumps of coconut flour really good.  Stir in nuts and dried fruit.  Now stir the almond/date mixture into the bowl also.  Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes so the coconut flour can absorb the liquid.

Scoop cookies onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet.  I made about 2 dozen cookies from this amount of batter.  Cook for 13-15 minutes, or until done to your liking.  Enjoy!

*********************


They're not huge cookies, but very hearty.  We each ate two of these to go with our eggs for breakfast. That also - by design - left me enough cookies to freeze the remaining for us to have for another breakfast down the road...love that!



With the colder weather we've been (for the most part) having, I have been making lots of SOUP!  Love. soup!  I love being able to throw into one pot everything we need for the meal: broth, meat, veggies!  Voila, done!

And I love being able to double/triple/quadruple the recipes, so that we have lots of planned-overs.  It is so nice and easy to just warm this back up for lunch the next day, so as to have minimal interference with our homeschooling.

Gabriel is still eating Dairy, Nut and Egg-free, so his meals sometimes look different than ours, especially breakfast (yes, the rest of us eat a LOT of eggs here at our house!).  For the lunch and supper he usually can eat exactly what we’re eating. 

Being on GAPS, homemade broth and probiotic foods (sauerkraut, fermented carrots, etc.) is a BIG part of healing our guts and restoring optimal gut flora.  As such, we are supposed to include a mug of broth and at least a couple tablespoons of probiotic food with each meal.  We do this...so I'm not going to type broth and probiotic food on each meal below.



Here is what else we're eating this week:


Sunday
Fruit and Nut Breakfast Cookies (recipe above), two eggs each





Monday

Leftover Italian Wedding Soup

Roasted Chicken (two, actually), Green Peas, Spaghetti Squash Deluxe (I'll use kefir instead of cottage cheese, and homemade sour cream instead of commercial to make this dish GAPS-friendly)



Tuesday
Three scrambled eggs each, with sauteed onions and cheese

Chicken salad (with leftover pulled chicken from last night, and homemade mayo)




Wednesday
Spiced Apple Muffins, two eggs each

Leftover Beef and Lentil Soup




Thursday
Three scrambled eggs each, with sauteed onions and cheese

Leftover Chicken Parmesan Soup

Thanksgiving Meal with my extended family - I'll bring Roasted Aspargus, Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, and Apple Tart (subbing kefir for cream to make it GAPS-friendly)



Friday

Leftovers




Saturday

Roasted Chicken,



Snacks:  apples, bananas, dried fruit, nuts, kefir popsicles

Desserts this week:  Chocolate Covered Bananas, Honey Bananas, Frozen Banana Bites (am I on a banana kick this week, or what?!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...