8.29.2010

One Radical Young Woman

We've recently had another visit with our sweet friend Abby that I first mentioned here a few months ago.

Having just finished her summer internship program at Show Hope in TN, she was back in town and she sent me a message on Facebook and asked if she could drop by...she had something for us.

I told her she needed to do more than stop by...we wanted her and her precious mother, Carol, to come and visit and play with us. I totally assumed that whatever Abby had was a little gift for the children.

We had a lovely visit and playtime, and talked about what they had planned to celebrate Abby's 20th birthday the next day. And when they were about to leave Abby said she had something for me.

Abby asked me if I'd read Radical. (The fabulous book that I mentioned here) I was almost done with it at this point. And I'm so glad that I was in the process of reading it because it helped me not be totally surprised by what this Crazy-in-Love-with-Jesus 19-year old did and said next.

Abby had read Radical over the summer. Twice.

It had a BIG impact on her.

After she got home from TN, she gathered some "stuff" and had herself a garage sale with the intent of donating all the proceeds to our upcoming Love The Least Conference .

Proceeds? $665

That precious girl handed me an envelope with six hundred and sixty-five dollars in it.

She didn't know that we had been praying and wondering how we were going to pay for the 4 plane tickets to get our speakers here.

Abby just knew what Jesus was calling her to do.

Some would say her actions were radical.

I agree.

Radically sacrificial.

Radically obedient.

Abby is radically devoted to a savior who beckons us to die daily to ourselves...take up our crosses and follow Him. (Luke 9:23)

I desire to be that sort of radical.

When we read the Word and know the Jesus of the Bible, this sort of "radical" response, well...it just. makes. sense.


Abby, I "see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could be there. Wish GA wasn't so far away :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. you gotta love a GIRL AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART ... she totally gets it !! can't wait for the conference !!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...