1.17.2012

What I'm Reading Right Now

I finished all the books that I was reading in this post...so it was time to find some new ones!


Can you tell how much Jas and I have used this following book? It's a devotional, actually.

The ever-popular My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

Jason's Aunt Ginger and Uncle Eldon gave this to Jas when he turned 19...and there is a precious inscription on the inside cover to prove it. I love that!

Well, Jas and I have read this thing so many times we've about worn the name off the cover. This has been my daily devotional more years than not since I became a Christian at age 26. I did not use it during my quiet times last year...and I missed it terribly. So, back to it this year!





And the Bible Study I'm in is starting back tomorrow night...and I'm so excited. After we finished our Revelation study, we took a hiatus during Christmas. That was much-needed...but I'm excited to be getting started again!

This time we're studying one of my Fav-O-Rite books of the bible: James!

Oh, Lord, show us, teach us, pour into us everything You want us to get from this study of Your word! Amen.




I always have a book going on my Ipod Touch also. It's so handy because it is always with me (in my purse) in case I have a few minutes to kill in the car. I also like to read it in bed because I don't even have to have the light on. I finished reading Little Women...and then I read Pride and Prejudice. NOW, I'm reading Jane Eyre on my Ipod Touch. LOVE these older, classic books! Love, LOVE that I can get them free through Amazon!





My mother-in-love knows how much I love to read, so one of the (too many) gifts she gave me for Christmas was a gift card to Barnes & Noble. The closest one of those is about an hour and a half away...and I love to shop in the comfort of my own home when I can, so it took me, OH, till Christmas night to spend the gift card!

I bought two books...

As soon as I saw this book mentioned several months ago on a blog I follow (can't even remember which one now), I knew it was calling my name:

Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life by Emily Freeman

I haven't started this book yet...I'm kind of scared, actually. But I need to put on my big-girl panties (no, not those...I threw those away)...and dive into it!




The other book I purchased with my gift card is this:

Your Baby in Pictures

I read about this several months ago here when Michelle had her newest baby and wanted to snap some cute pics. I (of course!) want to capture precious photos of Gabriel when he arrives. This looks right up my alley...but I hope it's real easy to use because my fancy-schmancy camera is hardly ever off the "automatic" setting!



This next book is on loan to me from my precious friend Vicki.

The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis

I've borrowed this from Vicki before, and it sat on my nightstand for weeks...untouched. And then I felt bad for keeping it so long and gave it back to her without ever reading it. I don't want to read it. More correctly: I don't want to need to read it. BUT...attachment and bonding in adoption is not just a straight path. Alot of times it feels like two steps forward, one step back. I think we're doing good - great even - and then months (or years!) later something happens and I realize that healing the hurts and the traumatic beginnings is just not. easy. Things come and go in cycles. My mommy-radar gets tripped and I become concerned...hence I borrowed this book before. But then things begin going better. Hence, I gave the book back without reading it....

And then a month or so ago one of my precious ones was going through a hard place. (I owe Kami and Amy lots of $$$ for the therapy/counseling they provided this mommy during that time!) They're all doing good right now...but you just never know when it will hit. And I need to read this book.





These last books display that I am ever on the search to figure out how to do all of this...better.

I want things to run smooth and peaceful around here. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so. SO, my quest continues....

My latest books along this line all came through my great inter-library loan system...and are all written by Emilie Barnes:


Yes, these two pictures show five books. AND, I already turned several other of her books back into the library.

What I've learned:
1. Emilie Barnes is a VERY prolific writer
2. Emilie Barnes has good stuff to say
3. Emilie Barnes said alot of the same stuff over and over again in multiple books





1 comment:

  1. WOW! I hope you are a speed reader, girl!! Looking forward to hearing how you like "Grace for the good girl." And I LOVE My Utmost for His Highest!!! Love reading it online when I am out of town and don't bring it with me - utmost.org! Hope you all are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...