10.24.2011

Miscellany Monday: October 24, 2011

I love fall! The cooler weather, the colors (which happen to be some of my most flattering colors, btw), the smells....

...and alot of my favorite autumn smells are found in these muffins:

I made these Pumpkin Muffins on Saturday morning...and they were a huge hit, all the way around! 6 out of 6 - woohoo! (Even though Noah started out by saying - as he always does with anything that is not a regular item around here - "Have I tried that before? I don't think I like that." He not only liked them - he loved them!)

Pumpkin Muffins (from Passionate Homemaking)
2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 – 15 oz can)
1 cup coconut oil, melted
2 cups evaporated cane juice
4 eggs
3 cups & 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour (I used hard white wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, coconut oil, eggs, and sugar. Mix until smooth.
2. In a second bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the first bowl of wet ingredients. Gently fold in, just until mixed. Do not overmix.
4. Grease your pans or muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes for muffins or 45 minutes for loaf pan.

Yield: 20-24 muffins, or 2 loaf pans

My muffins totally turned out not as dark as hers and I have no idea why?!?! But they turned out yummy - so I didn't care!

****************************************

We spent all day Saturday - of all things...at the beach. Yes, on October 22nd...we went to the beach. We had. so. much. fun.

The reason we went was to meet mine and Jason's community group there, and all our children were included also. We all talked - and played - for hours.

We all (adults and children alike) played football and paddle ball on the beach...and then while the children played in the sand, us adults had a devotional, and then discussed details of the ministry opportunity that the Lord has laid on our hearts. More to come about that....


****************************************

Our little town just got its first Pizza Hut a few years ago. We've enjoyed having them here...but now we really love them!

They sponsor a reading incentive program called Book It! and today for lunch we redeemed our first Book It! certificates for the children to each get their own personal pan pizza, with one topping of their choice:

They enjoyed it...just a little! (wink)


They were so proud, each turning in their own certificate and walking out with their own pizza!


But, we live in a small town, so when I called to order 5 personal pan pizzas (I planned to buy mine...I wasn't going to just sit there and watch them eat yummy pizza!)...we wiped the store out! They only had 3 personal pizzas...so they gave Elisabeth and I a Medium pizza to split instead (we totally made out!).



One medium pizza + 3 personal pan pizzas=

...We're going to be eating pizza for lunch again tomorrow!


*******************************

One thing I never thought I'd hear myself saying:

"Thank you so much for leaving that dead animal on my doorstep!"

But I did say just that to my dad a few days ago!

Hunting season has begun. My brother Jeff is in town from Kansas, and they have been hunting up a storm. And Jas hasn't begun hunting this year yet, but he will soon - probably next weekend.

When we got home from our homeschool get-together on Friday (with the 3 Walker boys and Arica and her son Brody in tow) we found a strange cooler on our doorstep. When I opened it up I saw lots of ice...with meat sticking out. I was able to figure out pretty quick what had happened: Either Jeff or my dad (turned out to be my dad) killed a deer (turned out to be an 8-point) and was giving us the meat to have processed and keep.

WOOHOO - Lots of free meat! Well, not totally free, but processing is relatively cheap per pound, and we always have it all ground up (which is the cheapest way to process it). So we're now on our way to being set for red meat for the next year. Between the deer that dad killed and the one that Jas killed last year, I've not bought one single pound of ground beef this year.



Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Book It! We got our packet in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I left it laying around (shame on me) and Ella decided to rip up almost all of the coupons! Ugh :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...