2.07.2011

Home From The Retreat

I got home last night from the retreat.

Tired.

And refreshed.

Tired...because Amy and I did not go to sleep until close to 1 a.m. both nights.

Refreshed...because the Lord showed up in a big way, right there amongst us 250 adoptive moms....just like we knew He would.

I knew there would be great breakout sessions, with helpful, really practical tips from moms who have BTDT. And there was.

But what I hadn't quite expected was the total and complete focus on the Lord. Duh. It shouldn't have surprised me. It was a retreat...the brainchild of a wonderful, Godly adoptive mom.

The focus on the Lord throughout every aspect of the retreat, in every session, helped me to remember something I too often forget: this is all about the Lord. I am a mama to four (and growing) treasures...from Him. And we adopted these treasures...because of Him. We're training up these treasures....only through His strength and wisdom.

My multi-cultural family, full of precious treasures - as amazing as I think our children are - is NOT the end-goal. HE is.

I take my eyes off the Creator...and let them instead rest on the created. This, these...anything down here...is not the ultimate goal. HE is.

Why do I forget that? How do I forget that?

The all-too-obvious answer is that I get caught up in the day-to-day management of our home and our ever-growing brood...feeding, schooling, cleaning (not-s0-much).

But it's all because of Him...and we're only doing it through Him...and we're only doing it for Him. I don't ever want to lose sight of that.

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen. (Romans 11:36)


This song that we sang many times during Worship throughout the weekend, really spoke to me...

1 comment:

  1. Just what I needed Joli. Your words and thoughts were refreshing for a heart that's been in a winter funk! Love reading about your days with your family. Quite confident we will be walking the journey of adoption again-soon. Our hearts are filled with anticipation despite the winter funk!! Thanks again!
    Paula Jacoby

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...