6.23.2010

A Southern Delicacy

It's that time of year again!

YAY!



Unless you live in the south, you might not have any idea what that is in our colander there.


Boiled Peanuts!



I just boiled our first batch of the summer recently.



My children love them.

Including Miss Lily Kay, who jumped right into loving them with her first exposure to this decidely southern delicacy.



While I didn't grow up in the south, I was born in Vidalia, GA and every vacation during my childhood was spent in GA visiting family. Apparently I put in enough time down here that when Jas and I moved here from Colorado almost 8 years ago, I already loved them like a life-long native.

Jason and my visiting sister-in-law Stephanie, on the other hand, upon each of their first exposures...spit them out! Seriously.

Steph flew back to Colorado, never to try them again.

Jas has now learned to love them.





But he does live here...so it's actually required that he love them.

4 comments:

  1. Boiled peanuts along with an ice cold Diet Coke are among my favorite southern foods! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Stephanie on this one, though Andy loves them! Our kids have yet to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, you convinced me to buy some! We had boiled peanuts tonight, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok..so keeping in mind I'm from CO also (not the south!) and after the little post a while back about the vege slurpies you make, when I saw your first photo, I really thought it was some kind of beetle-thing in that colander. And I was immediately thinking that if we ever make it to your house for a visit, no need to put out snacks as "we just ate"; no matter what time we arrived, "we just ate". :) Whew- glad to find out they were peanuts. Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...