5.20.2010

Pig Slop and Cow Pies

My children help keep me grounded.

Oh, do they ever.


Their latest lesson for me came in the form of a food critique.


I made smoothies to go with our supper the other night (as I do most nights). I always use homemade kefir from our raw milk, and some greens (spinach or kale or collard greens), and try to always have carrots and tomatoes on hand to add as well. Now these veggies are offset by bananas and other fruit (strawberries, blueberries, or a mixture), and some honey (raw and locally made), in ratios that end up tasting like a decidely Fruit Smoothie. My children drink them without too much complaint.



Well, this particular evening the carrots we had in the fridge were really past their prime (read: a little slimy) and I knew we wouldn't want to eat them plain, so I threw all of them in my Vitamix. I was fully aware that it was 2-3 times as many carrots as I usually used, but I figured carrots are kind of sweet...no problem. As soon as I began to pour the smoothies I knew it had not been a good call on my part. MMmmm...very carrot-y...



BUT, it wasn't horrible...not really. AND, it was good for us. AND I cannot stand to waste anything.



So when the children took their first sips at the table and started in..."These smoothies are different"..."What did you do different mama?" I just explained all my thoughts: "It's good for us", "It isn't horrible..."



Elisabeth piped up: "Yeah, it doesn't taste like Pig Slop!"



And then Noah piped up: "Yeah, it doesn't taste like Cow pies!"



Despite these raving reviews, they made me promise not to try this particular smoothie recipe again.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny! I am so intrigued about the ways that you eat. Please share more!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...