9.24.2010

September Fieldtrips

I was in charge of planning the Friday weekly get-togethers and fieldtrips for our homeschool group for September.

How happy was I that today was the last Friday of the month???

Nah...it wasn't so bad. But, to be completely honest, I prefer to happily go along with someone else's leading rather than call the shots.

Yes, I'm a follower. I'm o.k. with that. It's much easier.

Anyway...

Our group was able to tour our local Chick-Fil-A a couple weeks ago.

CFA is our family's fav-O-rite fast-food place. Love it. Love it ALOT...especially when we get to eat for free there.

We learned about CFA's history...



...and we toured the kitchen...




...and even ventured into their freezer. In case it's not apparent...Elisabeth liked that part.

And as much as I loved CFA before the fieldtrip...I love it even more now. Their food is prepared even fresher than I assumed it was. Love it!


We aim to alternate one Friday of free-play with a Friday where we meet for a fieldtrip, in town or out-of-town.

So, on two of the Fridays in September our group just met at a local park and played and fellowshipped. I've often joked that this group should really be called a Mommy-Support Group. It is so nice to be able to talk/commiserate with other mamas who know where you're coming from...and the good ideas that get passed around are invaluable!


Today, our group met at our local police department for a fieldtrip that I've been looking forward to for weeks.
This officer talked to our precious children about "Stranger Safety". Or "Stranger Danger" may be a more accurate title.




I've talked about strangers and what to do a little here and there with my children. But nothing very intentional or thought out.

And recently reading this by a fellow China-adoptive mom prompted me to plan this today.


The officer did a good job talking with the children. That could be tricky...with a fine line between educating and preparing the children...and scaring them to death! But the consensus of us mamas, during our post-mortem of the talk (in the middle of the playground, of course!) was that the officer did a good job. Definitely gave us a good jumping-off point for further conversations with our children now.

And while the officer would have come to meet and talk with us anywhere, I know it made more of an impression on the children that we met in the police department's training room.

And we got to check out a squad car...




...and turn on the siren. (See Lily Kay covering her ears?)




I know that at least a couple of my children were listening today.

Daniel and Elisabeth have both corrected us for different infractions this afternoon.

"Officer So-and-So said NOT to do that!"





But then Elisabeth decided maybe we should let Laoli in the door. After all, it was just Laoli!







3 comments:

  1. Joli thank you for posting the link about stranger danger. Some of the stuff I already knew, but others I didn't. It is scary that you have to worry about that. As when I grew up, I was outside all day long and never felt afraid and my parents didn't have to worry about me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed yesterday as well. :) You did good, "September Leader."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so glad that you did this! It's been a major topic of conversation around our town - as you can imagine - and we had to learn a lot right away. Y'all are so much better prepared than we were.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...