5.07.2010

Whole wheat coffee cake???

Can you taste how yummy this is just by looking at the picture?





OH, this recipe has been a hit in our family! It comes together very quickly...it is very moist...and most importantly, it is very scrumptious. I got the recipe out of my Bread Beckers Recipe Collection book. I've had this book for 2.5 years and this is the first time I'd tried this...what a pity!

I made it for the first time this past Saturday when we had some very special visitors come eat dinner with us (I plan to post about them soon)...and we loved it so much that I made it again for our Homeschool Group's End-of-Year party on Tuesday.


Streusel Coffee Cake

2 cups freshly milled flour (I used hard white wheat)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Real salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil (I used Extra Light Olive Oil)
1/4 cup raw, local honey

Topping:
3/4 cup evaporated cane juice (I used less, probably 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) (I skipped this the first time, but used walnuts the second time - we liked it better with the nuts)

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center. Add egg, milk, oil and honey. Stir just until well mixed. Spread evenly in a greased 9x9-inch pan. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done in center. Shield with foil if getting too brown. I double this recipe for our family and use a 9x13 pan. (I doubled this both times I made it).

1 comment:

  1. I have that recipe book and have never made it eaither. In fact, there are a lot of recipes in there that I say I should try, but never have. I tried your coffee cake at the party and it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...