4.21.2010

Yummy...and healthy?!?!?

I'm always on the lookout for recipes that allow me new ways to incorporate whole grains into our diet.





My sweet friend Sabrina shared this recipe with me a few months ago, and it languished for too long before I remembered to give it a try.

How could a side dish that looks so absolutely unappealing taste so absolutely yummy???



I'll have to add that to my list of questions to ask Jesus when I see Him.

Nah, I will totally not be thinking about brown rice and lentils when I finally get to see Jesus face to face!


WOW - was this side dish a hit at our house...with all 6 of us! Daniel had seconds and thirds the first time we tried it a month ago. And it is easy to throw together. And it is not expensive. Those are my four criteria for what I feed my family: cheap, easy, yummy, healthy

This recipe is definitely a keeper on all four accounts!

I made it for our extended family's Easter supper (and got more thumbs-up) and when I was making it for my family again last night, it occurred to me that I just shouldn't keep a jewel like this to myself:


Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole

3 c. chicken broth

3/4 c. lentils (mine are from the co-op, but you can find them with dried beans at the grocery store)

1/2 c. brown rice

3/4 c. chopped onion

1 tsp. Italian Seasoning

1/4 - 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder ( I used 1/2)

1 c. grated cheese, cheddar or a blend is preferrable (note: I used mozzarrella because that was all we had on hand, it was good)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix all ingredients except cheese in a baking dish (I use 11x7in.). Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes. Then remove foil, add cheese, and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Enjoy!

(Note: If you're like me in another way - always running behind and in a hurry - you can do like I did and increase the temperature and shorten the cooking time! Shhhh - don't tell anyone my secret!)

1 comment:

  1. Joli,
    After reading your post, I decided that I would pull the recipe out again. This time, though, I didn't use onions but rather onion powder. The kids don't like onions. And I added a half a can of cream of mushroom soup. It was yummier than I had remembered! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...