3.24.2010

Train wreck...a work-in-progress

We've been home for 5 1/2 weeks...and back doing school for 4 1/2 weeks.


While we've been getting it done (I just love to check off those boxes)...it has not been pretty.


And I really want school - actually, our homelife in general - to be pretty. Or short of pretty, I'd settle for peaceful...


Monday was a bad day. Mom and Jas both called me during the day and got tearful earfuls from me.



So what is a mama to do ???


During the children's nap/rest time that afternoon I sat on our back patio with a cup of hot green tea...and a book.


Which book?





No, it actually wasn't that one this time. Although it is always a great place to turn. (I am especially thankful for James 1:5, where we're told that if we lack wisdom to ask the Lord...He gives generously to all without finding fault. Thank you for that, Jesus!)


No, this time I pulled out this book:



Managers of Their Homes by Steve and Teri Maxwell

I first read this wonderful book about 5 years ago at the recommendation of a friend. I borrowed her copy, and devoured it. I loved what I read and gleaned some very helpful tips. But I only had one child and she was only 1 at the time...so I didn't fully implement the ideas in the book.

A year or two later, another child later - I bought my own copy. Re-read it. Gleaned more helpful tips and strategies that we did put in place...but again, we only had two children and they were only 2 and 3 years old. It still wasn't time to implement the book's ideas fully.

Another year or two later, another child later - I devoured the book again. Learned even more great ideas that we did go ahead and implement. But with only three children (2, 3, and 4-years olf at the time), and not homeschooling yet - it STILL wasn't necessary to fully implement the book's ideas!

But the time has come!

OH, has it ever come!

SO, I'm devouring the book yet AGAIN! I hope to have school, and other things, in better order around here soon...

(To my friends out there who have just started, or are about to start, homeschooling (I'm thinking of several of you in particular) - I highly recommend you get this book! In case you can't tell.)

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I have heard such great things about that book and have debated buying it. Can I look through your copy when I am there tomorrow? Are you still up for company tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara, you can definitely look through it - and YES, we are definitely still on for this afternoon...looking forward to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I come to your house tomorrow too?!?!?! Oh how I would love to be coming to your house tomorrow! Also, while I am there, can I steal all of your fun, sassy, smart and lovely friends? Thanks! Love you Joj, thanks for all the encouragement today. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I love you so, Steph! I wish you were coming to my house tomorrow too! Give those kiddos a hug from Aunt Joli!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...