8.31.2015

Miscellany Monday, August 31, 2015:


Today marks six weeks since Noah's pacemaker surgery.  He is doing good.  As of today he is allowed to submerge his incision in the bath or pool.

It took Noah longer than we had anticipated to be able to walk totally erect again.  And he couldn't pick up Abigail for weeks...which made him so sad.  It was a banner day when he could pick up sister again...he was thrilled!

But it is tender still.  Is is tender still?  Or is it that he is now doing things again, and making it tender again?  Either way, we expect it to be all better soon...but we're keeping an eye on that.

So glad the surgery is behind us.

Thinking back, and talking it over with Noah, we have agreed that the Lord's timing was perfect (of course it was!).

 - It was great for the surgery to happen during the summer, so as not to interfere with school.

 - It was perfect for it to be near the end of summer (two weeks before we started school), so as not to interfere with summer plans and swimming.

 - We knew for less than three weeks that this surgery was coming, and it was perfect for us to not know way ahead of time that this was coming this summer, so we didn't have time stew/worry (Noah and I are both good at that).


Thank you, Lord, for arranging all the "little" details of our lives.



***********************************



I recently cornrowed Abigail's hair for the first time.


Her edges are going to be the death of me.


 All over, straight back into a puff bun.



Meh.

I can get the job done...but I know from watching countless YouTube cornrowing videos that I could be (need to be!) quicker and neater.  But I have been having trouble figuring out from the videos exactly how to hold my hands/fingers and the three individual strands that I am working with.









Time to call in the cavalry!

My friend Sheena came over Friday to visit...and then we had a mini-cornrow lesson.  

Abigail really wasn't as upset as she looks here.


Sheena made it look so easy!





She cornrowed the same little strip at least 4 or 5 times...with me jumping in there and alternating turns with her.

I am still not getting my hands right.  And I was trying so hard to do it a new way, that I even forgot how to do my old (slower) way.  I was doing WORSE than before, rather than better.



I need more practice.

I looked online for a mannequin head to practice on (can't you hear Abigail thanking me?).  The price wasn't as bad as I had feared.  But then it occurred to me:  I have two willing volunteers right here...for free!  

Thank you, Elisabeth and Lily Kay!


***********************************


I am on day 7 of a 14-day online course called "Make Over Your Mornings" by Crystal Paine (I have enjoyed reading her here and there in the past, but now I know to read her more consistently...sister has so much good stuff to say!)

I have always been a big believer in hitting the ground running in the morning, knowing that I accomplish my best work then.  And I figured out years ago that our home and our family work best if I get up before the children.

My current morning routine: I get up, take a detox bath (and read while I'm in there), then a (cold) shower and get dressed/ready, unload dishwasher...and then have my quiet time with the Lord at the kitchen table, while sipping a London Fog.

So this means that I am in the kitchen, fully dressed, hair done, makeup done, shoes ON (ready to run non-stop all day) when the kiddos get up at 7 a.m.

If I ever wake up at the same time as the kiddos, it is not a good scene.  I am playing catch up all. day. long.  Not good.   For anyone here at our house.

It is simply not worth it to me for a little extra sleep.

I've already got some good groundwork laid (she didn't have to convince me that things work best here if I get up before the kiddos)....but there is always room for improvement.

I have enjoyed and been challenged in this first half of the course...and look forward to learning and implementing more new things during the last half of the course!



***********************************

Jas and I have broken a personal record:  We've had two dates in one month!  Woohoo!

Friday night, while the children hung out with Shelly and Kevin, we went to opening night of War Room.

Loved. this. movie.

What a great call to prayer.  A wonderful reminder of taking our cares/concerns to Him...realizing that He is the one who works and fights for us.  It brings to mind one of my favorite verses - one of the first verses I memorized after becoming a believer -

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:6-7)



***************************************

I am making my way through another e-course.  This one is called "The 4 Essential Habits of Healthy Families".  It is a free e-course put together by Stephanie of Keeper of the Home (one of my favorite blogs of all time).    She does short(ish) interviews with four of my other favorite bloggers, Heather (of Mommypotamus), Crystal (of Money Saving Mom), Katie (of Kitchen Stewardship), and Katie (of Wellness Mama).

I have listened to the first one so far.  Good info!

And free!  (Can't beat that!)



***************************************

WARNING:  If you are the squeamish sort you may want to close this window now.  Dead Chicken pictures to follow....











We're down one chicken....





Crime scene photos:


We think this is where the culprit attacked the chicken, and shook it....

...and this appears to be where it finished the dastardly deed. (This is about 30 feet away from first photo)

We've submitted the crime scene photos to veteran-chicken-owner friends via text.  And then...well,  all of our FB friends.  Some say hawk. Some say dog.  Some say cat.  Some say coyote.


The chicken had gotten out of the pasture (many of them do this, which doesn't bother us....well, it didn't until this happened), and was hanging out under our two magnolia trees.  The fact that it was under some pretty low-lying trees makes us think not a hawk.  And the fact that it was not in the pasture makes the dog possibility more possible.

We really have no idea.

We would like to know so we know what to do to help protect our flock in the future.  Get some geese?  Get some guineafowl?  Both are options that are helpful and that many recommend.

We still haven't decided.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...