5.12.2014

Chocolate Coconut Truffles - A Guest Post by Elisabeth

I've mentioned how helpful Elisabeth is in the kitchen.  One of her specialities has become this Chocolate Coconut Truffle recipe that we l-o-v-e.





Elisabeth makes these for us all by herself.  Often.  Very often.  She has to make them often because a batch has never lasted more than 24 hours at our house.  (And I freely admit that I'm the worst offender.)

We have shared these truffles with several friends recently, and they've asked for the recipe.  Our inspiration came from this recipe at Homemade Mommy.  But we substituted an ingredient to make it GAPS-friendly.  And then we omitted another ingredient...just because we wanted to.  And then we reduced the amounts of some other ingredients because, well...we're always looking for ways to save money.




So I asked Elisabeth if she would do a post with our version of this recipe, since she is the Chocolate Coconut Truffle queen here.  She graciously agreed.  I took the first couple of pictures...but everything (text and pictures) from here on out is by Elisabeth Grace....


**********************************************************



Hi my name is Elisabeth, and I LOVE to bake.  I particularly like to make these Chocolate Coconut Truffles.  We have changed it a bit.   There is  actually no baking required, you just pop everything into a food processor.  It's really easy to make and when you are done it's SOOO good.  


  

YOU WILL NEED...
  
Food Processor 
Small Spoon
Cookie Sheet or Tray



3 cups shredded coconut 
1 cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
1 cup honey ( raw if possible) 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1/3 cup melted coconut oli
pinch of sea salt


Put the shredded coconut and the cacao in food processor...



...and add the honey.  




Then add vanilla....





....and melted coconut oil and salt. Whiz it all up in the food processor until you have formed a dough.  Take the spoon and scoop a bit and roll into desired size.  When you are done stick in fridge or freezer.



   
               Tips and Hints 
I have learned a lot from making these so many times by myself that  I thought you might want some tips and hints. 
(1) Make sure the coconut oil is hot or at least warm and add it last.  

(2) I have tried adding nuts and it was good!

 (3)If you want it to be chewy put in the freezer but if you want it soft put in the fridge.

(4) If you do dark cocoa powder I thought it tasted a bit like Oreo Cookies without the cream.  

  



One time I hid a chocolate truffle in the outside freezer and gave it to my Laolao the next day.  I knew that if mom saw a truffle she would eat it.   Another time I came home from soccer and headed for the freezer for a chocolate truffle and before we left for soccer the cookie sheet had been almost full, so when I got to the freezer the cookie sheet wasn't there, then I saw it on the counter I walked over and saw SEVEN missing truffles, I knew what that meant.  Mom had eaten ALL SEVEN of those truffles   That shows how much we all LOVE them!!!   

Daniel and Lily Kay LOVE them!

(Note from Joli:  Elisabeth is totally telling the truth about me loving (and voraciously eating) these truffles.  In my defense, the ingredients are so good for us that I don't even feel guilty about it.  And even freely enjoying them (yes, I admit that I can eat 7 in a day...or more!) I have now lost over 25 pounds since starting GAPS.  These ingredients are nourishing!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...