10.23.2013

White Chili....And The Happy Accident

We had a fellowship with our Community Group last week.  It has become an annual celebration with lots of kids running around, multiple pots of chili, yummy desserts, and the night is capped off with gathering around Darby and Greg's fire pit....making s'mores!

Right now while the seven of us are doing the GAPS protocol, we can't have most beans.  But we can have white navy beans.  So I prepared a recipe of this White Chili that I found here (this blog has been super helpful while we're on GAPS), to take to the fellowship.

It was a hit!  Not only with my family...but others at the gathering tried it and asked for the recipe.

(What our family did about s'mores that night is another post!)




I made several modifications to the recipe on Cara's blog (some intentional, some UNintentional (oops!))...and I wanted to record the recipe here so I'll know how to make it again in the future.  (We've already made it again since last week, doubling it when some new friends and their four kiddos came over...we still had leftovers, yay!)

This doubled recipe fits perfectly in my 7-qt crockpot.  I will always do this in the future, even if it's just for us...I love having planned-overs!  (You could half it and use a normal sized crockpot)


White Chili

4 tablespoons coconut oil (butter, ghee, lard, tallow)
2 onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, pressed
2 lbs. white navy beans, soaked overnight and drained
16 cups chicken broth (4 qts)
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1 tsp paprika (optional)
Sea Salt to taste (start with 1 tablespoon)

6 cups cooked chicken, cut up
grated cheese as topping (optional)

Saute the onion and garlic in a skillet in your chosen fat. Add the the onions and garlic (and the rest of the ingredients through Sea salt) to the crockpot.  Cook in the crock pot all day on low, or 4 hours on high.  Finally, stir the chicken into the mixture into the crockpot about 20-30 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!



The UNintentional change I made to the recipe?  Well, when I went to grab the "cumin" the first time I made the chili, I grabbed this bottle:


I thought this was cumin.  We all loved the chili, and later, after we got home and Jas and I were talking, I found out the bottle had turmeric in it.  (We buy turmeric in bulk and just refill this bottle...we love it (especially Jas) and it is so good for us.)  Soooo, since we all loved it the way I made it the first time, we've officially changed the recipe going forward!





1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...