8.24.2012

Yummiest Brownies. Ever.

I mentioned in this post that we dropped some yummy brownies off to our favorite doctor the other day.  Here is the recipe for those beautiful creations.....

Disclaimer:  There is absolutely nothing healthy about this recipe.
(Unless you count the fact that it contains butter, instead of its fake cousin, margarine.)



I spotted this yummy looking brownie recipe recently on The Pioneer Woman website.  (She cracks. me. up.)

I love brownies.  I. love. brownies.  But I just don't make sweet stuff like this for us. Not that we don't like sweet stuff (au contraire), but it's not good for us, so I just don't make it.

Can you see the layer of caramel in between the top and bottom layers of brownie batter?  YUM!



BUT, when my turn came around again last Sunday night to bring supper for our community group I knew exactly what I wanted to bring for dessert.

And I did double the recipe so my family could have some too.

You can click here if you want to go to Pioneer Woman's recipe - she has great step-by-step pictures that take you through the recipe (as she does with all her recipes)...but here is the low-down:  (The only  deviation I made from her recipe is that I left off the powdered sugar that she sifted all over the top.  Ummmm, the brownies were plenty rich and sweet enough for us without a thick layer of powdered sugar on top.)



1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
1/3 cup Evaporated Milk
1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (additional)
1/2 cup Butter, Melted
60 whole Caramels, Unwrapped
1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, chopped pecans, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and melted butter. Stir together until totally combined. Mixture will be very thick.
Press half the mixture into a well-greased 9 x 9 inch square baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside.
In a double boiler (I used a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water) melt caramels with additional 1/2 cup evaporated milk. When melted and combined, pour over brownie base. Sprinkle chocolate chips as evenly as you can over the caramel.
Turn out remaining brownie dough on work surface. Use your hands to press it into a large square a little smaller than the pan. Use a spatula to remove it from the surface, then set it on top of the caramel and chocolate chips.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for several hours


2 comments:

  1. Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but do I follow the ingredient list on cake box and then add this stuff? I don't use those and wasn't sure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy! That is NOT a crazy question! I remember wondering the exact same thing I came across a recipe that used a box mix. (I don't normally use recipes (or box mixes) like this these days...but this just looked to good to not try at least once!)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...