8.03.2011

Recipe: Peach Cobbler Done Healthier

Peaches have been looking - and smelling - so yummy around here lately.


It made me think of a cobbler recipe I haven't used in years. It's a recipe that I originally got from my Mema (my dad's mom). It was the first thing I learned to cook by myself years ago. But once Jas and I began eating healthier, I didn't think this recipe would make a good transition to "healthy" (meaning: using our freshly milled whole wheat). And I just couldn't bring myself to make it anymore.

But peaches having been looking - and smelling - so yummy around here lately. Oh, have I already said that?

I just had to give it a try. I "healthy-ized" it. I substituted freshly milled soft white wheat for the regular wheat in the recipe, and our evaporated cane juice for the sugar.

I was VERY pleased with the results!

Healthier Peach Cobbler

3/4 c. sugar (I used Evaporated cane juice)
3/4 c. flour (I used freshly milled "soft white" whole wheat)
2 tsps baking powder
3/4 c. milk
pinch salt
3/4 stick butter
3 cups peaches mixed with 1 cup sugar (I reduced to 1/2 c., and used evap cane juice)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

While you're mixing together the first five ingredients (through salt), melt 3/4 stick butter in a 8x8 dish in the oven that is pre-heating.

Pour the batter into the 3/4 stick of melted butter in deep dish (8x8). Do NOT stir! Add 3 cups of peaches mixed with 1 cup (I used about 1/2 c.) sugar. Bake 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.


Verdict: It. was. yummy!



Wow. Now I need to go make some more.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...