6.15.2011

Recipe: Baked Oatmeal

Here is another new breakfast recipe we've recently tried...and loved!


And we have actually been eating it for breakfast, unlike the Pancake and Sausage Muffins.



I'm not into regular oatmeal (the texture is too slimy for me), but oatmeal - when prepared correctly - is good for us, so I try to incorporate it somehow.



I've tried several Baked Oatmeal recipes over the past few years. I would like them fine...the rest of my family, not so much.



But this one? "Allbodies" like this one! (Elisabeth coined the term "allbodies" when she was two, and it still gets used frequently around here!)

I found this at Keeper of The Home

(I love her site! scroll down and check out all her "topic labels" on the right side of her site...she's got lots of good stuff to say!)



I'm copying her instructions here in full, because they are very important. Yes, this recipe takes some thinking ahead (the night before, or even the morning before when I'm really on top of it) but then the morning of is so easy and we have this healthy and totally yummy breakfast! Our family of 6 eats about 1/3 of this pan that first morning....then I usually eat on it the rest of the week. Love it that much!



Baked (and Soaked) Oatmeal

This is a soaked recipe because oatmeal in particular is high in phytates (which impair digeston and can block mineral absorption) and requires a good soaking period of at least 12 hours but preferrably closer to 24, for better digestion and assimilation. I notice that when I'm in a hurry and don't soak this for as long as usual, my husband and I feel that it sits a bit heavier and doesn't digest quite as well, so if you can, plan to soak it in the morning of the day before you'd like to serve it.

The day before:

In a large pan, like a 9 x 13 corning ware or something similar, add:

6 cups rolled oats
1 cup melted butter or coconut oil (I usually do a bit less than this- sometimes as low as 3/4 cup, though I definitely wouldn't go any lower than that)
3/4 cups honey (you could also use 1-1/2 cups of rapadura or sucanat)
2 cups cultured milk product (either buttermilk, kefir or yogurt watered down. I usually do this step 1/2 kefir and 1/2 water, which works well and saves money!)

Mix well, so that everything is moist. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and leave it to sit on the counter until the next morning.

The next morning:

Preheat the oven to 350 F, and then add to the pan,

4 beaten eggs
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to mix the oats, if it's been chilly during the night. On really cold days, I've had to pop the pan back into the oven for a minute while it's preheating, just to soften the butter or coconut oil enough to be able to stir it better.

This is also the time that you could add any fun additions that your family would enjoy. Some that we have tried are grated or diced apples (with extra cinnamon), and raisins. Both were really nice, and I'm sure you can think of many other ways to fancy this dish up, although it is just wonderful on it's own.

When everything is well mixed, smooth it out a bit, and put it in the oven for 40-45 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp on top.



Note from Joli: The mornings we're having this, as soon as I get up I go in the kitchen to add the final few ingredients and bake it. By the time, the children are up and ready for breakfast- it's done!

2 comments:

  1. Please, please, please never remove your Eating Healthy tab. I lose things. Lots of things. The recipes I can find the easiest are on my computer. I would not be able to have baked oatmeal in the morning if you changed your blogspot format! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...