5.31.2010

Four months ago today...

We laid eyes on our new precious daughter for the first time...



...and she did not want to lay eyes on us.







This may sound mutually exclusive, but as she was screaming and wailing, and crying out someone else's name (a caregiver?), she literally fell into me, to be held and comforted...but she was still stiff as a board, and pushing me away - all at the same time.



It is so hard to go back now and look at these pictures, the lost and confused look in her eyes makes me hurt - physically makes my chest hurt - and makes me cry.






It seems like these pictures must have been taken four years ago...or forty years ago...instead of just four months ago...







...because - by God's grace - she is a totally different child now.

While we may see brief moments of...

...contemplation.




This is what we almost always see...







I know I'm not supposed to talk in absolutes...but in this case, I must.






She is always happy.



She never walks anywhere - she skips...or even gallops sometimes.

She always amazes us.


And just when I think I could never love her more than I do this day...
Another day dawns...and I do.

4 comments:

  1. I remember following you guys while in China, it is amazing how much she has transformed. I am always amazed how smiley she is and how much joy (and I know all the kids do) brings. She lights up the blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully said. I remember seeing you and her in the hallway right after you met each other and we were about to meet Max. It was a moment not for the faint of heart! Just in the week and a half we were in China together it was an amazing to watch her love and trust unfold. Now to see pictures of just how comfortable she is, how happy she is, and how she is SO in the right place with HER family...it is priceless. I so happy for your family!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joli, you are SO right; it does feel like 4 years ago and definitely not 4 months since we met our sweet children. I love her big smile! I can't wait to get our kids together sometime in the future.
    -Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is such a sweet little girl and I am amazed everytime I see her at how adjusted she is. Amazing and so wonderful that it has been such a great transition for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...